To protect and improve the natural resources of the District and to guide resource development and use to provide the highest quality of life for present and future citizens.
What We Do
We provide technical and financial assistance to landowners within the district boundaries who have natural resource concerns or problems. We also provide educational assistance to schools and organizations within Cowlitz County.
Who Runs the District?
The District is governed by a board of five supervisors who volunteer their time. Three supervisors are elected by residents within the District and two are appointed by the State Conservation Commission. The board may also include an unlimited number of associate members. All of the member’s time and effort serving the District is on a volunteer basis.
How We are Funded
The District operates by obtaining grant funding from local, state, and federal sources. We receive no money from tax assessments.
The board of supervisors generally meets the first Tuesday of each month at 4 p.m. in the District office at 2125 8th Avenue in Longview in the 8th Avenue Plaza (near the entrance of Wendy’s drive-through).
Staff and Contact Information
District staff can be reached by telephone at 360-425-1880.
District History and Boundaries
Prior to the development of the Conservation District, educational meetings were held at the local Grange Halls as well as in the urban communities. Following these meetings, petitions requesting establishment of a Soil Conservation District were circulated and then sent to the State Conservation Commission for their approval. A hearing was held in Kelso on December 27, 1945, where local landowners voiced their opinions in favor of establishing a Conservation District. The Cowlitz Conservation District was organized in 1945 at the request of individual farmers and the Diking District Commissioners.
The Commission set the boundaries of the proposed District and ordered a referendum be held in favor of the establishment of the District. Under this original action, the District encompassed approximately 270,760 acres of Cowlitz County. In March 1963, the Conservation District Board petitioned the Conservation Commission to annex within their boundaries 76,000 acres of the northwest portion of the county. The petition was approved bringing the total number of acres within the District to 346,760.
On February 1, 1980, the easterly 53 percent of the land in Cowlitz County was included within the boundaries of the Cowlitz Conservation District outside incorporated areas as of 1945. Petitions for the inclusion of these additional territories were circulated for signatures of land occupants. The task of completing the inclusion of the east half of the county was given high priority by the District Board. The District encompasses all lands within the county boundaries, outside incorporated areas.
The District has a Long-Range Plan and Annual Work Plans that can be downloaded from the Publications page of this internet site.